Friday, 25 July 2014 00:00

Get Your Ride Insured

Written by



Car insurance companies have figured out a way to charge you more for your car insurance after you have had an accident that was NOT your fault. That's right. Raise your rates if another guy hits you.

More and more auto insurance companies in Oregon are adopting a method by which they can charge their own insureds, that's right their own customers, more money when they get in an auto accident that wasn't their fault. It is against Oregon Insurance Division rules for a car insurance company to charge you points for a non-fault accident. The way they get around it, however, is by removing an Accident-Free or Claim-Free discount.

Some insurance carriers are so bold as to CHARGE YOU for a PRIOR PIP CLAIM. PIP stands for Personal Injury Protection. Oregon is unique in that every auto policy sold must have medical coverage for the passengers. It goes on to cover medical benefits for any household member who is involved in an automobile related accident. That passenger doesn't even have to be in his or her own car or one belonging to someone on the policy. No, it is ANY car.

Auto carriers are citing increased costs of medical claims under the PIP coverage as the reason for the sky-rocketing auto insurance rates over the last couple of years. That's why they are attempting to target those who use their policies to claim PIP benefits. They take away a discount. The discount usually applies to all the cars on the entire policy. So, if you have four cars on your policy and the discount is say 20%, you could see as much as a $450 increase for six months. That's $900 a year. That really happened to one of my customers! Stopped at a stoplight and BOOM! Rear ended! Not their fault. Now they are paying an extra $450 every six months for an accident that they didn't even cause.


If this happens to you, be sure that when you go to settle with the other insurance company who is responsible for reimbursing your medical bills and paying you for ongoing care, pain and suffering, that you also include a demand that they pay you for increased cost to your car insurance for the next 5 years! Yes, 5 years. Most carriers don't give the discount back for being claim-free or accident free for 5 years. And, in the example from above, that's $4500 in extra insurance costs.

I need to send the my payment in before the end of this month and I wanna send it in with money order, and my question is on the money order "pay to the order of" who do I make the payment out to?????? My car insurance is Bristol Foremost insurance??

David A

alphinia-girls-15-smallHi David,

Yes. Write in the name of the insurance company. It is confusing because Bristol West has gone through a lot of name changes. Their bank will recognize any one of the names of Foremost, Bristol West or Coast National. It doesn't matter which one of those names you write on the "pay to the order of" line. Just be sure somewhere on the front of the money order in a blank area you write the complete policy number. That way they can identify your account if it gets separated from your payment stub. It's a really good idea to include the payment stub in the envelope they provide. If you don't have the stub nor the mailing envelope then it might be better this time to pay through the agent.

Thanks for the great question!

Page 1 of 4